Rediscover Hillsborough County’s art and culture resources
On Oct. 1, 2021, the Arts Council of Hillsborough County will officially transition to a new Arts Council division under County government and an advisory body to the Hillsborough County Board of County Commissioners (BOCC).
Earlier this year, the Arts Council of Hillsborough County and the BOCC approved restructuring the Arts Council from an Independent Special District in order to provide a more efficient use of resources to support the performing and visual arts in Hillsborough County.
The Arts Council will continue to serve a leadership role as Hillsborough County’s umbrella organization for arts and culture and is committed to providing cultural equity and access to arts and culture for all.
Some of the key services provided by the Arts Council include:
- Providing management and skills workshops for organizations and individual artists
- Awarding grants for organizations and individual artists that offer accessibility to arts and culture throughout Hillsborough County
- Publishing an annual Guide to Arts & Culture in Hillsborough County
- Managing an online calendar of cultural events
- Serving as a clearinghouse for arts opportunities for residents of all ages to ensure that arts and cultural enrichment is available to benefit the residents of Hillsborough County
Residents can access and learn about Arts Council events and programs:
- Through the Arts Council newsletter
Moving the Arts Council into the County government will result in several efficiencies, which include a better alignment of and consistency with BOCC goals and objectives, and a revised grant-making process reviewed directly by BOCC-appointed Arts Council members. Additionally, since the County is already the primary funder of the Arts Council, there will be no new financial impacts to the County. The transitioning staff also can leverage the County’s resources for a host of administrative functions such as budgeting, finance, and human resources to save about $157,000 a year. These savings will help broaden the scope of services to enhance Hillsborough County’s cultural landscape.