HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY is inviting interested artists to provide responses to this REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS for exterior sculpture/ artwork for Town N’ Country Commons.
INSTRUCTIONS TO PROPOSERS
PROJECT TITLE: TOWN’ N’COUNTRY COMMONS PUBLIC ART PROJECT
PROJECT GOAL: TO PROVIDE EXTERIOR SCULPTURE/ ARTWORK FOR TOWN N’ COUNTRY COMMONS
LOCATION: TOWN N’COUNTRY COMMONS, 7606 PAULA DRIVE, TAMPA FL 33615 in HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, FL
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: FRIDAY, JULY 15, 2022 AT 5:00 PM
DELIVER PROPOSAL BY E-MAIL TO: PublicArt@hillsboroughcounty.org
PHYSICAL ADDRESS OF PROGRAM: DEPARTMENT OF CAPITAL PROGRAMS, PUBLIC ART PROGRAM, COUNTY CENTER, 23rd FLOOR, 601 E. KENNEDY BLVD., TAMPA, FL 33602
1.0 PROJECT INFORMATION:
Hillsborough County (County) is interested in receiving submissions from artists demonstrating their ability to provide completely realized three dimensional artworks for exterior display at the existing Town N’Country Commons. The Town’N’Country Commons complex is home to a Public Library, Head Start, Aging Services and includes a Park. It is located in the Town’N’Country neighborhood of Tampa. Possible themes for the artwork include subjects relating to the community.
The artwork must require very low maintenance. The selected artist will be responsible for the design, fabrication, and installation of the artwork, to include foundation structural design and related permitting of the base/pedestal and the art/sculpture. The artwork will become part of the County’s permanent public art collection. Artists are required to submit their qualifications relevant to this project. It will be desirable to have a full range of art mediums suitable for an outdoor environment to be represented.
The project will have several stakeholders including the Public Art Committee, various County Departments, and other interested community organizations and individuals. Three finalists will be selected to provide site specific proposals. Each selected finalist will be paid an honorarium of up to $750.00 (seven hundred and fifty dollars) for their proposals. Site Specific Proposals must include a site specific maquette and/or other visual depictions of the proposed artwork. Final selection will be made by the County.
Design Criteria: Overall design criteria are:
- Artwork to be located at the entrance of the Town N’ Country Commons.
- Artwork to be designed for minimal maintenance.
- Art to be a high quality, free standing outdoor sculpture.
- Artwork to be of an original design (not reproduced).
- Artwork should be structurally sound and meet applicable standards of the Florida Building Code in regard to the foundation and wind loading; final design will need to be engineered and stamped/signed by a registered Florida engineer.
- Materials used must meet the demands of Hillsborough County’s local climate.
- The artwork will have an anti-graffiti coating.
- The artist will provide a two-year warranty on materials and craftsmanship.
- The artwork should be a prominent feature of the building entrance and be visible from the roadway(s).
- A plaque or marker should be installed.
2.0 SUBMITTAL INSTRUCTIONS:
2.1 Artists who wish to be considered for this project must submit the following materials electronically. Ensure that all files sent electronically have been scanned by up-to-date virus scanning software. Files with detected viruses will be destroyed and will not be considered. All images and documents must be accessible in the MS Windows environment. Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
The following documents are required:
- A current professional resume of no more than 2 pages for each submitting artist.
- A list of exterior sculpture/artwork installations relevant to this project and completed in the last 5 years. Please include owner contact information.
- A maximum of 8 digital images of completed exterior sculpture/artwork. The images shall be in .JPG format. Any masking or borders should be black, not white. Image files must be properly labeled each with artist’s last name and a number (1-8) assigned per image list. (e.g.:smith_1.jpg, smith_2.jpg). Artist’s name should NOT appear on the image. The first five artworks presented should be those that are most related to this call. Provide details, close-ups or multiple viewpoints of large or complex artworks.
- Image ID sheet; explain the content and context of each image.
2.2 The following documents are optional:
2.2.1 Scans of publications, reviews or other items that may assist the County in evaluation of the artist’s capabilities. (No more than 3 items of this type should be included in the submission.)
2.3 Instructions for electronic submission:
2.3.1 Submissions may be made by e-mail to: Publicart@Hillsboroughcounty.org. Large files may be zipped. The use of file transfer sites is not permitted.
2.3.2 As an alternative to email submission, a USB flash drive may be mailed to the address below:
Amanda Grant, Public Art Coordinator
P.O. Box 1110
Tampa, Florida 33601
2.4 Additional Information and Instructions:
2.4.1 Responses will be reviewed by a Site Advisory Committee (SAC) and the County’s Public Art Committee (PAC).
2.4.2 The intent of the review is to short list a group of up to three artists to provide more specific proposals for the artwork. The County intends to contract with only one artist or artists group to fulfill the requirements of this project.
2.3.3 Hillsborough County does not guarantee that any commissions will result from this call.
3.0 ESTIMATED BUDGET, SCHEDULE AND SELECTION PROCESS:
3.1 Estimated Budget for the Project: $100,000.
3.2 Estimated Schedule:
– Submission deadline
– Response to Call for Artists reviewed and ranked by the SAC & PAC
– Short listed and requested to provide a site-specific proposal.
– Site specific proposals reviewed and ranked by the SAC & PAC
– BOCC selection of proposal
– Agreement negotiated with top-ranked proposer.
3.3 Selection Process:
3.3.1 For this project, a Site Advisory Committee composed of members of the public, County staff associated with the location, the County project manager, and members of the Public Art Committee will propose a short-list of a minimum of three artists to develop site-specific proposals. Short-listed artists will be given further information on the project. Using this information, each artist will develop site-specific proposal(s). Artists may use models, drawings, computer-generated imagery and material samples to communicate their proposals. They must include in their proposals a working budget. The site-specific proposals will be initially reviewed and ranked by the Site Advisory Committee. The Site Advisory Committee’s ranking will be considered by the Public Art Committee which will make a recommendation for final selection of the Artwork.
3.3.2 Subsequently an Agreement will be negotiated with the selected artist. The Agreement will require the artist to provide the complete artwork and meet all related costs such as travel, materials, fabrication, transportation, insurance and installation of the work within a mutually agreed time period and for a fixed fee. Progress payments are made over the course of the contract in accordance with a mutually agreed upon schedule. Compliance with financial arrangements between the artist and his/her sub-contractors is the responsibility of the artist.
3.3.3 If an agreement cannot be successfully negotiated in a timely manner with the top-ranked artist(s), the County has the option to negotiate with the artist(s) next in order of ranking.
4.0 REQUESTS FOR INFORMATION/CLARIFICATION:
4.1 Any artist requesting additional information, interpretation, and/or clarifications relating to this Call shall make a written request addressed to:
Amanda Grant, Public Art Staff
P.O. Box 1110
Tampa, Florida 33601
4.2 If it is deemed necessary, an addendum to this Call for Artists may be issued through the Hillsborough County Public Art webpage at:
5.1 Persons responding to this Call do so at their sole expense and risk. The County reserves the right to change or cancel this Call at any time.
5.2 No proposer is guaranteed the award of an Agreement or any work as a result of being selected for this project.
5.3 Any changes made to this Call shall be made by means of a written addendum. It shall be the responsibility of the Artist to assure that all addenda have been received prior to submitting a proposal.
6.0 PUBLIC RECORDS ACT:
6.1 Pursuant to Florida Statutes, sealed responses to this Call to Artists are exempt from the public inspection requirements of the Public Records Act until such time as the announcement of a decision based on the proposals or within 30 days after proposal receipt date, whichever is earlier.
END OF DOCUMENT